New Year’s resolutions aren’t for everyone – but they are for me. I find it a good jumping off point to make some improvements. I’m not great with goal-setting, but there’s something about starting off a new year that makes it feel like a good time to set them. I guess I should call them New Year’s goals then, eh?
I don’t often take time to be proud of myself for the things I’ve accomplished, but here are some goals I accomplished in 2018:
- I bought a house! – I’ve been working towards this one for a while. I acknowledge how lucky I am that my parents have let me live with them since graduating university which made it easier to save. I also have a partner with a good job. But I need to take credit for how effing hard I worked for this.
- I went to Ireland – This has been a dream of mine since I was little, and this year I finally went.
- I got myself a new computer – My computer has been in rough shape for a loooooong time, and I’ve been telling myself for ages that I would get a new one. Now that I have an office in my house, I figured it was a good time to get a nice desktop. I love it!
- I relaunched my blog! – I’ve been wanting to this for a while. My old blog was starting to feel like a burden and I wasn’t having fun with it anymore. After a nice break from blogging, I wanted to start anew. I wanted to purchase a domain, and invest in it.
Here’s what I would like to do in 2019:
- Go somewhere new – I try to make it a goal every year to visit somewhere I’ve never been before. I have a trip planned for early February, but I would love to go somewhere for my birthday this year as well. It’s my champagne birthday this year!
- Read at least 2 books each month – A couple of years ago I made it a goal to read at least one book each month. I found this a really good way to get back into reading after falling out of love with it during university. I’ve been crushing that this year, so I figure it’s time to bump that up to two books a month. I feel like it’s attainable, but something I must actively work towards.
- Get more into Yoga – This is also one of my annual goals, but one that’s had less success. I always find a way to talk myself out of it.
- Start a YouTube channel – I’ve always wanted to do this. I’ve had an idea for a cooking channel and have found excuses not to do it. I didn’t have the right camera, my kitchen isn’t set up well for it, I have bad internet. I really don’t have any of those excuses anymore.
- Cook more – I knew as soon as I moved out, I would have an easier time cooking. I still love going out to eat but find myself going for lunch out of convenience rather than to enjoy it, or as a treat. I need to be better about making lunches and packing them the night before. We also need to start actively planning meals for the week. I got an instant pot for my birthday and I have yet to use it. That changes in 2019!
- Buy less makeup/everything – I have a ton. I don’t need more. Specifically, lipstick. I’d really like to not buy a lipstick in 2019. We’ll see though. I’d like to be a more conscious consumer this year. I’m going to unsubscribe from a bunch of email lists, and hopefully that will help.
- Be easier on myself – I tend to be tough on myself, to talk down to myself and it’s not fair. It makes me feel worse, and it brings everyone else around me down. I need to be prouder of my accomplishments, and not be so critical when I’m not accomplishing things I’d like to.
What are your goals for 2019?