Cooking with Chrissy: Roasted Tomato Soup
Soup is one of my favourite meals. I think I could eat it every single day. I was going to be out of commission for a couple days, so I thought I would make a big batch of the Roasted Tomato Soup from Chrissy Teigen’s first cookbook ‘Cravings’.
Here’s the recipe:
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 4 pounds Ripe Tomatoes doesn’t matter what kind
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt I used pink salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 Herb Sprigs (whatever you have) I didn’t use sprigs, i just used loose herbs
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 1/2 cups Low-sodium Chicken broth
- Roast the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and black pepper at 450 F on foil after coring and halving the tomatoes for 35-40 minutes
- Tie up the herbs into a bundle
- In a large pan or pot heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onion cook until soft, 7-8 minutes and then add in the garlic for one minute
- Add in the tomatoes and break them up with a spoon
- Add in the broth and herbs, bring to a boil, simmer until thickened 25 to 30 minutes
- discard herbs, transfer to a blender, puree until almost smooth
I made a few changes to the original recipe. I had exactly 3 cups of chicken broth left in the box, so I just used all of it. it made for a thinner soup, which I was fine with. Instead of using springs of herbs, I just shook in some basil and chili flakes. I also used an immersion blender instead of a regular one and that worked just fine.
I love this soup. It’s hard to believe that someone wouldn’t like it, because it is such a classic. It’s a very simple recipe that uses a lot of ingredients I already have around the house.