What’s Left in the Fridge Chunky Tomato Soup
We’re in the midst of what feels like a 45 year polar vortex, so all I want is warmth. What better way to do that than with a comforting, spicy soup. I call this the ‘What’s Left in the Fridge’ because literally there were a couple of things in there that I need to use quickly before they went bad. Appetizing, right? I promise it’s good!
What’s Left in the Fridge Chunky Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- A half sheet pan of tomatoes
- 1/4 of an onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried chili flakes
- enough chicken stock to make it into soup
- 2 pieces of bread
- a few slices of cheese
- a bit of margarine
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Lay out tomatoes, onions and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast on 375 F for an hour, or longer if it looks like they need to be roastier.
- Transfer the veggies into a pot on medium heat. Add the basil, chili flakes, and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend it up into soupy goodness.
- Make your grilled cheese! You know how to do this. I like to use margarine on the bread on the pan side because it spreads nicer.
- Cut up the grilled cheese and throw it in your soup when serving.
I really loved this soup and it was a great way to use up some things that were in my fridge. I’m trying to be better at not letting food go to waste, and this soup is a perfect way to combat that.
I could eat soup for every meal and be perfectly happy.